File system backup scripts or utils

Homer hparker at homershut.net
Tue Mar 16 16:24:26 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 10:00, WipeOut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of some good file system backup scripts or utilities??
> (I don't mean like tar or cpio.. read on..)
>
> Specifically I am looking for some way to backup remote systems
> (probably using rsync over ssh is the best?) but I don't simply want a
> mirrored copy..
>
> I want to have a seperate directory created each day with the backed up
> files in.. Also I want files that have not changed to be symlinked to
> the previous version of the file so that I don't need ten times the disk
> space of the original source on the backup system and don't have to
> transfer the entire file set over the network to the backup system only
> the changed files..
>
> This to me would be a very efficent way to have a backup system that has
> the ability to have an archive history but doen not need masses of
> storage space..
>
> Thanks for any thoughts..

	I would look at using rsync to manage the files.. For backups, I've
used:

http://foc.neoartis.org/progs/backup/

	It'll backup to about any device, as well as ftp, scp, samba shares,
and a few I've probably forgotten about ;)

--
Homer Parker			/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
BOFH for homershut.net		\ / No HTML/RTF in email

"Bill Gates reports on security progress made and the challenges ahead."
-- Microsoft's Homepage, on the day an SQL Server bug crippled large
   sections of the Internet.