MySQL Version 4

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 16 17:16:14 UTC 2004

Richard Welty wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:17:30 +0100 Leonard den Ottolander <leonard at den.ottolander.nl> wrote:
>

>>Hi WipeOut,

>>>Of course taking a single point out of the text will usually cause some
>>>confusion, the entire text has to be taken as a whole..
>>>

>>I do understand that MySQL AB wants you to buy a license if you want to
>>distribute your program with mysql (server/client) without releasing it
>>under an open source license.
>>

>i was under the impression that their claim was broader than just
>based on including MySQL 4.x in a distribution. i was given to
>understand that they made this claim for anything that linked against
>MySQL. please correct me if i'm wrong, as there is a substantial
>difference between the two possible states of affairs.
>
>richard

The way I understand it..
If you want to distribute an app as a closed source then you need a
license to use any of the MySQL client libs or code..
If your app is GPL or one of the now accepted open source licenses then
you do not need a license..

 From what I can see MySQL 4.x client and server can be included in any
GPL distribution, for example Trustix (www.trustix.org) ships with MySQL
4 as part of the distro..

There is probably somthing in Fedora that builds against the MySQL
client libs that is not GPL which may be why it was not included, now
that they have allowed a number of other open source licenses this may
no longer be an issue in which case MySQL 4 could be included..

Later..