USB SCSI Mass Storage

Alan H. Lake alan.lake at lakeinfoworks.com
Tue Mar 16 17:35:48 UTC 2004

I have a hard drive in an external case connected to my computer via a
USB port.  It has three ext3 partitions and one VFAT partition.  Under
RH9, the partitions of this drive showed up as SCSI devices.  When I
upgraded to FC1, the device can no longer be seen.  I'd like some help
to determine how to make it accessible again.  Here is what I have at
this point:

I think that I should have a /proc/bus/usb/devices directory.  I have
/proc/bus, but no usb.  My /proc/scsi/scsi file contains the line:
"Attached devices: none".

I executed "cd /usr/src/linux;make xconfig".  The following settings are
set to Yes except that those followed by (m) are set to Module:

SCSI support
	SCSI Support
	SCSI disk support
	Enable extra checks in new queueing code
	Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device
	Verbos SCSI error reporting
File systems
	Kernel automounter version 4 support
	Ext3 journaling file system
	DOS FAT fs support
		MSDOS fs support (m)
		VFAT (Windows 95) fs support (m)
	Virtual memory file system support
	/proc file system support
	Second extended fs support
USB support
	Support for USB
	Preliminary USB device filesystem
	USB Mass Storage support
		USB Mass Storage verbose debug

Of course, I have more settings than these, but I think that these are
what are applicable.