Deploying Red Hat Workstations

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Tue Mar 16 17:56:15 UTC 2004

Have you looked at cfengine at all?

Quoting Chris Purcell <redhat at cjp.us>:

*> We're in the process of deploying about 200 Fedora (or RHEL) workstations
*> out to our remote offices scattered across the US.  I need a way that I
*> can easily make changes to the workstations all at once.  I've been
*> thinking of a hack that I would write (in Perl) that would go something
*> like this...
*>
*> 1) each workstation would execute a cron job daily that would download a
*> script from our central server each day
*> 2) that script would be executed by another cron job a few minutes later.
*>  This script will contain any changes that I need to make.   If there
*> aren't any updates for the day, then the script will be blank that day.
*>
*> Will this work?  There has to be something better than this out there.
*> What do you guys do in this situation?   For example, we've deployed about
*> 25 workstations out so far, but now I need to change this Perl script on
*> each one of the machines.  What is the easiest way to push this script out
*> besides SCP'ing it to each one individually.
*>
*> Thanks,
*> Chris
*>
*>
*>
*> --
*> fedora-list mailing list
*> fedora-list at redhat.com
*>

--
Harry Hoffman
hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
November 2, 2004: National Bush trimming day