Where? in small home network should Caching DNS Serve be located?

Johnny Smith opensource_powered at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 16 18:08:10 UTC 2004

Hi Brian,

i'm not using DHCP.

I thought about using a Caching DNS to get quicker
response when accessing my internal machines when I'm
offline [and possible speeding up access to the net]

My internal machines are listed in /etc/hosts but
access always seems significantly slower when I'm
offline... gotta wonder if /etc/hosts gets read first?

You probably noticed that I have two servers with
firewalls... [LAN] serves web pages to my Local Hosts
[LK] and [NK].

Given that I'm concerned about intra-lan access being
slow.... do you think my putting the caching DNS on
the inside/firewall/server [LAN] would be best?

Thanks for the help

johnny

--- Brian Johnson <bjohnson at johnson-engineering.ca>