Random Network Droping, advice needed

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Mar 16 22:09:02 UTC 2004

Jim Radford wrote:

>On Tuesday 16 Mar 2004 8:07 pm, jludwig wrote:
>

>>I had trouble with my old ISP, -- they won't admit to anything.
>>I have done failure analysis of network systems for a 'gov.'
>>group using linux for 5 years and never saw this sort of problem.
>>Suspect your ISP first is my advice, esp. if you can still see anything
>>else.
>>

>(un)Fortunately, I work for my ISP. So I've had the switches checked out that
>are the first couple of hops after my router.
>
>Plus if it was an ISP problem, then there would be more than just me with this
>issue and I know there isn't.

NOT (necessarily) TRUE.
There is a segment of their cabling/equipment that is dedicated to you
and your location and a problem there would affect only you.  It may be
the carrier and not the ISP that is at fault here.

When I worked for one ISP we had one single location where our ISDN
connection was very unstable. We had 6 ISDN lines here and one was
unstable. Swapping hardware that worked proved the hardware was not at
fault.  The telco claimed they had no problems, but the instability
continued.  I was finally able to get them to put a sniffer on the line
and they found they had a problem with the cable routing/length/loading
that they then fixed and the problem was solved.