Random Network Droping, advice needed

Jim Radford jim at grubber.org
Tue Mar 16 23:18:26 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 16 Mar 2004 9:05 pm, Andy Green wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 March 2004 20:57, Jim Radford wrote:
> >   basic mode:   isolate, collision test, 10 Mbit, full duplex
> >   basic status: autonegotiation restarted, link ok
>
> Hmm... suspicious.  I get this
>
>   basic mode:   autonegotiation enabled
>   basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
>
> Maybe your Ethernet adapter is constantly renegotiating ("restarted") the
> link type for some reason.  Cabling?  Hub?

I guess it could be. Would  mii-tool -w show me if it was renegotiating all
the time?

How do I make sure that autonegotiation is turned on? I thought I could do it
with ethtool. I tried " ethtool -A eth0 autoneg on " but I got the message:

Cannot get device pause settings: Operation not supported

> > Anything else that would cause that many errors - should I be suspicious
> > of that amount of error?
>
> My machine has been rebooted thismorning, it has done 1/3rd of the packets
> but you can see a tiny fraction of your errors.  Something is wrong there.
>
>           RX packets:3404480 errors:73 dropped:38 overruns:0 frame:14

My machine has been up just over 10 days, if that means anything.

--
Jim Radford
   "If at first you don't succeed - change the DC"