localhost Connection Refused.

Joe Dumais jjejdumais at comcast.net
Wed Mar 17 00:46:51 UTC 2004

Some of these suggestions may or may not be helpful.  When I first
loaded my Fedora,  I  found that just about all networking capabilities
were turned off by default as a security measure.  To turn telnet on,
logged on as root or the superuser, go to directory /etc/xinetd.d and
edit file  "telnet".  You willprobably find that there is a line that
says "disable    = yes".  Edit the file to change the "yes" to a"no".
Make sure when you set up your firewalls that all the protocols/sockets
that you want are allowed through the firewall (e.g., telnet (23), http
(80), etc.).  Once you have done this you have to restart xinetd (to get
telnet to work).  You do this by first finding out the process under
which xinetd is running (ps -ef | grep xinetd).  This should return a
line that look something like this:
root     827    1 0    16:12    ?    00:00:00 xinetd -stayalive
(the 827 in this case is the process number, yours will probably be a
different number).
Submit the command:
    kill -SIGHUP 827 (or whatever your process for xinetd is).
This will restart xinetd, and because you have edited the telnet
configuration file, will turn on
the telnet daemon.
The http daemon is usually run as its own process. Do a "ps" to make
sure httpd is running.  If not,
as root, you can start it yourself (consult the man page for httpd).