Using java in FC1(with eclipse)-help needed

Kaustubh Ghosh meetkaustubhghosh at vsnl.net
Wed Mar 17 06:11:15 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 12:52 am, Alexander Strube wrote:
> Em Ter, 2004-03-16 às 15:53, Kaustubh Ghosh escreveu:
>
> Hello Kaustubh,
>
> > I am quite novice towards java programming in linux.To start with I
> > installed j2re1.4.2_03 and also j2sdk1.4.2_04 in FC1(Both from
> > java.sin.com).Now peculiar problems arise.
> > When I type "java -version" it gives 1.3.1(
> > When I type "/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin/java -version" it gives
> > 1.4.2_04. Anyway  I  can compile any .java  file with javac.
> > But when I try to run it with java(any of the above) the gui would not
> > come.(Hello World executes perfectly with System.out.println as also
> > other non-gui programs).
>
> You have too much java for only one system :-)
> Go to /usr/java and take a look about what you have in there.

I have a java interpreter installed.

> Remove, using rpm (if you installed that way) the olders java machines.

java -version gives:
java version "1.3.1"
jdkgcj 0.2.3 (http://www.arklinux.org/projects/jdkgcj)
gcj (GCC) 3.3.2 20031022 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.2-1)
Seems to be a part of gcc.How can I remove it?

> Keep only j2sdk1.4.2. The others are not necessary.
>
> > I also installed eclipse sdk.It created a directory "eclipse" under
> > /opt.When I cycled to the directory and typed "eclipse" I got messages
> > "
> > warning:cannot determine -os type
> > warning:cannot determine -ws type.
> > warning:cannot determine -arch type.
> > warning:cannot determine -showsplash type.
> > "
> > After a while it gives an error(in a gui):
> > "Error:Java (VM) had to be shut down:Exit Code=1
> > /usr/bin/java
> > -cp /opt/eclipse/startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main
> > -os linux
> > -ws gtk
> > -arch x86
> > -showsplash /opt/eclipse/eclipse_showsplash 600
> > "
> > Cannot make any head or tail of it.
>
> The simplest way is taking out the java path from your environment
> variables and symlinking the /usr/java/whatever into /opt/eclipse/jre

How can I do so?Please give  your advice considering me a novice.Thanks.