Random Network Droping, advice needed

Jim Radford jim at grubber.org
Wed Mar 17 06:38:45 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 16 Mar 2004 11:42 pm, jludwig wrote:
> Check /etc/modules.conf or possibly /etc/sysctl.conf it appears somehow
> that init thinks you have 8 Nic cards 0 through 7 if this is so with a
> text editor remove these.  There may be other files but this appears to
> be what is happening with the information given.

I checked both those files:

[root at mailgate network-scripts]# cat /etc/modules.conf
alias eth0 3c59x
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null
2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1
|| :
alias char-major-195 nvidia

and

[root at mailgate network-scripts]# cat /etc/sysctl.conf
# Kernel sysctl configuration file for Red Hat Linux
#
# For binary values, 0 is disabled, 1 is enabled.  See sysctl(8) and
# sysctl.conf(5) for more details.

# Controls IP packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0

# Controls source route verification
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1

# Controls the System Request debugging functionality of the kernel
kernel.sysrq = 0

# Controls whether core dumps will append the PID to the core filename.
# Useful for debugging multi-threaded applications.
kernel.core_uses_pid = 1

#Added by me - dunno what it does :)
net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0

The messages stopped appearing when I changed net.ipv4.tcp_ecn back to 0, and
ran sysctl.conf -p again. At least I'm pretty sure.

Thanks,
--
Jim Radford
   "If at first you don't succeed - change the DC"