Deploying Red Hat Workstations

Chris Purcell redhat at cjp.us
Wed Mar 17 13:54:15 UTC 2004

> Why not create a local "up2date" server on your LAN that will only hold
> the packages you want your machines to have.  I'm assuming you want them
> all to be the same, correct.  Then set up2date to update automatically
> from the 'up2date' local server.  Very little outgoing network traffic
> and you control the packages/versions.  Seems good to me.
>
> I'm not sure how to set up an "up2date/yum/apt-get" server but maybe
> someone else has some experience.

I was thinking about creating a central apt-get server.  You don't think
it will be too messy to install RPMs for every change I want to make?  For
example, lets say that I simply wanted to add a single Perl script to
/usr/bin, for example.  I would have to create an RPM package for that
single Perl script.  Do this even matter?

Chris