Samba - Windows 98

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Wed Mar 17 15:49:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 11:03, Michael Gargiullo wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 09:43, Chris Botha wrote:
> > Windows 98 Security Problem
> >
> > Could sombody explain how I can get windows 98 to function on per-user login
> > as windows 2000. Is it possable to to something like that? I do not like the
> > idea that the users details are localy stored. A user sould also not be able
> > to get in if a password in not correctly punched in. Any help will be
> > welcome.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> Ok this sounds like flamebait, but ok..
>
> You cannot secure win98.  All the user has to do once you turn on the
> login(found in network properties) is hit escape or cancel and they get
> to the desktop.  The login is for preferences only.  There maybe 3rd
> party software to lock down win98, but it's a 6 year old+ OS...time to
> upgrade...to Fedora ;)

Yes, you cannot really secure a Win9x system but you can make it harder
to get access to persons with only basic knowledge. try to learn about
Windows policies, look for the program named poledit, this tools let you
update the registry with your configured values. If you do not want to
use the tools, update your registry by hand has explained on
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/sf/ms/2000-q3/0626.html

That registry key will require that your windows must validate the user
on a NT4 style Domain (like Samba), but remember that any user will have
full access to the system, even removing or disabling the Windows
Network Client, or this "security" can be easily bypassed by booting to
Emergency mode and editing the registry. There are more restriction
control registry values, but they are more easily managed using Windows
Policies.