Samba - Windows 98

d l popgojp at yahoo.co.jp
Wed Mar 17 16:00:14 UTC 2004

> Could sombody explain how I can get windows 98 to
> function on per-user login as windows 2000. Is it
possable to
> to something like that?

No. Never will. Win9x is desgined as a single user OS and
there is no concept of user level security(if an security
at all).

> I do not like the idea that the users details are localy
stored.

It works that way... face it....

> user sould also not be able to get in if a password in
not correctly punched in.

If you are talking about login password, you can set one
for it.
and it will refuse to give you a desktop session if it is
wrong.
If you are talking about samba share I think if you set a
password on the share, it will refuse remote user to
browse if pass is wrong anyway.

In summery if you are looking for win2k alike
characteristing you better run win2k instead of kludging
win98. If the machine is too old to run win2k then run
winnt4, at least it is much better in networking and
multiuser support than win98.