Try Bittorrent (was Plans for DVD-ROM image?)

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Wed Mar 17 16:16:56 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 12:09, John Reiser wrote:
> > Have you tried bittorrent? That deals nicely with slowdowns/corrupt
> > files etc.
>
> > BTW Fedora Core 2 (test) is currently running @ 4 CDs
>
> And therein lies an inconvenience with bittorrent.  The more common installs
> (Personal Desktop, Software Development Workstation) require only the first
> 2 or 3 CD images.  Yet most torrents consist of all the images in a single
> "bag", and it is not possible to rely on partial results being complete.
> Stopping the download in the middle does not work, you must wait until
> it is 100% finished before using any piece of it.

True, but there's nothing stopping anyone from making BitTorrents for
each CD separately.

What I like about BitTorrent (besides the speed) is the data integrity:
I know that when I have a completed download, it's identical to the
server's copy.  And the fact that I get to give something back to the
community by the simple act of donating a bit of my bandwidth is just
icing.

Ben
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca