Plans for DVD-ROM image?

David Nedrow listbox at nedron.net
Wed Mar 17 16:24:11 UTC 2004

On Mar 17, 2004, at 06:26, Nigel Wade wrote:

> It might be reasonably cheap on a single system, but think about all
> those mirror servers out there. They'd have to store the 6 CD ISOs,
> the "small" DVD ISO and the full DVD ISO.

The DVD-ROM image(s) could be handled the way mirrors currently are.
Each mirror pretty much determines what they want to store. The local
mirror I use that is run by a friend has terrabytes free and is used to
host just about every linux distro, CPAN, emacs, kernel, *BSD, etc.

But all sites aren't so lucky, so many of them don't even carry updates
for the distros they do host, and many don't host the network
installable directories.

So, space shouldn't be an issue, since the mirror can simply opt NOT to
carry the DVD-ROM images.

-David