Plans for DVD-ROM image?

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Wed Mar 17 16:43:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 12:38, David Nedrow wrote:

> > I'd take it a step further: why not have a client-side tool for
> > downloading new releases that let you choose (similar to the way
> > Anaconda lets you choose) what portions you want to download, so you
> > could download build your own custom CD set.  It would allow people
> > with
> > limited bandwidth or needs to download a single CD with the 'core' (pun
> > intended) packages they need, and allow those of us with bandwidth and
> > wish for DVD images to download everything.
>
> Ben, I know you're brainstorming, but I don't see how this helps the
> person who simply wants to download a single installation image.

The install selector could be easily configured with buttons like
"Download minimal", "Download standard CD set", "Download standard DVD",
etc.  Seems pretty simple to me.  Better than the newbs asking "Where
can I get a DVD image?", "Why do I need to download 4 CDs just to get a
minimal server install because the packages are strewn over all four
CDs?", "Do I need to get the sources?", etc..., which have all been
asked on this list or others over time.

But yes, I am just brainstorming, and this is just food for thought.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves