Updating VSFTPD from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1.

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Mar 17 17:21:29 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 17.03.2004 schrieb George Lemos um 18:03:
> I'm working on learning VSFTPD and am setting it up on a fedora fc1 box. The
> system currently, from the original install, has version 1.2.0. At least
> that is what the folder says in /usr/share/doc/vsftpd-1.2.0.

rpm -q vsftpd

this tells you the exact version and patch number of the installed
package.

> Bare with me as I am green in Linux but learning every day. If I download
> vsftpd-1.2.0-5.i386.rpm and enter the command:
>
> rpm -ihv vsftpd-1.2.0-5.i386.rpm

You can install packages easily using the Fedora tool up2date by running

up2date-nox -i vsftpd

It has the advantage that it automagically resolves dependencies, while
the direct install command using rpm might fail when other packages are
missing.

> Can I assume it is going to install everything where it should go and leave
> me with the latest version of VSFTPD? OR, do I need to do some form of clean
> up/uninstall on the system first with rpm -e. Should I use the switch -Uhv
> to just upgrade it? What is the *best practice* in this scenario.

As said above, using up2date you can be sure you get the latest package
for Fedora. So if a bug with vsftpd is communicated you can expect there
will come out a bug fixing package shortly. "up2date-nox -u" will then
replace the old and vulnerable package.

> Finally (thus far) in the INSTALL readme file there was a line that stated:
>
> "edit "builddefs.h" to handle compile-time settings (tcp_wrappers build,
> etc)" -What is this? compile-time settings?? Huh? -What do I need to look
> up/read in order to know what to do with this? Or can I just ignore it?

Installing the RPM package of vsftpd using rpm or up2date or yum means
to install the compiled binary version including documentation. Thus you
do not need to run any install. You will only have to configure the
daemon in this case (who is allowed to connect and such things).

The hints in the INSTALL or README file mean that if you compile the
vsftpd from source you can control which features will be build in
during compilation, like the tcp_wrappers feature. This special feature
means you can control access using /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny.

> I am sure I may come across more questions when I get to configuring.

Finally, for you as a starter I would not recommend building the FTP
daemon your own. Use the RPM package and get common with configuration
and so on. If you then as an advanced vsftpd user feel you are missing
things in the package, then you can go a step forward and learn how to
build the daemon your own.

> Thanks!
>
> /g

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 18:11:13 up 8 days, 18:30, load average: 1.23, 1.30, 1.27
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]