Alsa Xmms which one ?

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 17 19:13:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 03:25:12AM +0200, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> Thanks Tom I check it again anyway but Ive done this and still some play
> and then the next track is playing in silence? @#$ Ha HA!

What does the more simple command line program "play" return.

I have seen play be vocal about files it cannot decode.

For example I have a file: ..../newmail/sounds/Notify.wav
At the command line I do:

   play  ..../newmail/sounds/Notify.wav

and I see:

   .../newmail/sounds/Notify.wav: Sorry, this WAV file is in MPEG Layer 3 format.

Since I do not have a MPEG Layer 3 plugin right now this makes sense.

The point is that the suffix is .wav but it it mp3

File is also useful for many file types:
   file ..../newmail/sounds/Notify.wav
   ..../newmail/sounds/Notify.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, MPEG Layer 3, mono 11025 Hz

Regards.
tom

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l