Updating VSFTPD from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1.

George Lemos listreader at lemosnet.com
Wed Mar 17 21:01:09 UTC 2004

> So go on with configuration and don't care for the version number.
>
> > .thanks!
> > /g
>
> Alexander

OK, I'm working on the configuration and am attempting to make this work via
xinetd.
My issue right now is Im stuck in anonymous FTP only! I have the config
file:

/etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf file set with the directive:

anonymous_enable=NO

I save, then restart xinetd, and when connecting via FTP I still get "This
is Anonymous Only!"

I'm doing this in VI, and I have a question as to WHY the part that has
"anonymous_enable" is highlighted. No matter what I can remember to try, it
remains highlighted in the editior. The only way to de-highlight it is to
misspell it. When I spell it correctly again, it becomes highlighted again.
Not sure if this has anything to do with the fact that it is keeping the
daemon is anonymous only.

The below is the content of:

/etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd

# default: off
#       normal, unencrypted usernames and passwords for authentication.
service ftp
{
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/vsftpd
        nice                    = 10
        disable                 = no
        flags                   = IPv4
}

I have not done ANYTHING to the /etc/services file - should I edit the entry
that is there now with vsftpd? Here are the entrys for ports 20/21:

ftp-data        20/tcp
ftp-data        20/udp
# 21 is registered to ftp, but also used by fsp
ftp             21/tcp
ftp             21/udp          fsp fspd

---I'm not 100% sure what the fsp is.

Suggestions? Thanks!

/g