Try Bittorrent (was Plans for DVD-ROM image?)

Elliott Wilcoxon elliott at wilcoxon.org
Wed Mar 17 21:12:57 UTC 2004

And most BT clients (at least for Windows...) allow you to select which
files in a torrent you want to download, then it only fetches those parts.

Theoretically, there's nothing stopping someone from creating a
apt/yum-like tool that works with BT as the underlying transfer
protocol.  They setup a server, and anyone who wants to be a mirror
would just download the whole thing then leave their BT client running
as a seed.  3rd party additions to the protocol (I don't know if it's
been added to the official client yet) also support multi-tracker, which
appears to essentially mean backup trackers.  Here's hoping that FC2(3?)
has a BT install option.

Elliott Wilcoxon