Updating VSFTPD from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1.

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Mar 18 03:24:39 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 18.03.2004 schrieb George Lemos um 04:13:

> > No! Do not edit the /etc/services file! Leave it untouched.
>

> QUESTION: Since we are on this  services file topic for the moment, if there
> ever a time we DO edit the services file? Do programs we install edit it? I
> must think that we do edit it manually at some point. I thought for sure I
> would have to put something in there for the use of xinetd.

You will only have to edit /etc/services file if you i.e. want to let
run a daemon process on an unspecified port which itself reads from
services. To give you an example: on my router I am running the rcapid
on port 2661, controlled through xinetd. As the xinetd checks the
service ports from the services port I had to include the corresponding
line for port 2661 TCP in the /etc/services file.
A different case might be that you for serious reasons want to change
the port on which a defined services has to run. Then you must modify
the entry in the services file too. But this is typically a very rare
case. Nothing you should think over as a beginner :)

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 04:19:23 up 9 days, 4:38, load average: 0.10, 0.25, 0.24
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]