Updating VSFTPD from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1.

William H. Bowen bowenw at whbowen.com
Thu Mar 18 04:09:07 UTC 2004

Date sent:      	Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:41:58 -0500 (EST)
From:           	Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu>
To:             	bowenw at whbowen.com,
	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Copies to:      	Subject:        	RE: Updating VSFTPD from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1.
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

On
> Wed, 17 Mar 2004, William H. Bowen wrote:
>
> > George,
> >
> >   If you don't mind me jumping in in the
> > middle of this discussion, that list of FTP
> > programs looks pretty normal to me. Pretty
> > much matches (except for versions) my RH
> > 9 system.
> >
> >   If you are running VSFTPD under XINETD,
> > the way I kill and restart it is via WebMin: go
> > to Servers, Extended Internet Services, and
> > you can stop and restart any service run via
> > XINETD there. You could consult the
> > documentation for XINETD to get the
> > command line syntax for this function, which
> > I do not remember off the top of my head.
>
> Of course, you need to install Webmin, which doesn't come with Fedora
> Core.
>
> The FC1 GUI tool for this is redhat-config-services.  The command-line
> tool is chkconfig.  If the service is listed in /etc/init.d, start and
> stop it with service vsftpd [stop|start].  If it's listed in
> /etc/xinetd.d, then it only starts on connection, so just turn it on or
> off.
>

> > Regards,
> >   Bill Bowen
> >   Sacramento, CA
> >
> > P.S. I don't know if your experience with
> > Fedora is the same or not, but VSFTPD
> > seems to be much happier running under
> > XINETD on my RH9 box than as a stand-
> > alone (under XINETD was the default in
> > RH8; changed to stand-alone in RH9 for I
> > cannot remember what reason). From what I
> > can gather by reading the docs available out
> > there, even the developers of VSFTPD
> > recommend running the program under
> > XINETD.
>
> I've had it work fine both ways, but upgrading from xinetd mode in RH8 to
> daemon mode in RH9 caused some problems due to modified config files.
>
> --
>   Matthew Saltzman
>
> Clemson University Math Sciences
> mjs AT clemson DOT edu
> http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Matthew,

  Thank you for the additional info. Yes, my
RH9 box was an upgrade from RH8 and
vsftpd was about the only program I had
problems with - otherwise the upgrade was
quite smooth.

Regards.
  Bill Bowen
  Sacramento, CA