HP ScanJet 4570 (or 5500)

Pinco pinco at kiesperanto.org
Thu Mar 18 08:01:43 UTC 2004

Hi, Tom.
I've just received a long message from HP which informs me that ScanJet
4570/5500 is not supported under any version of Linux!

Ciao,
Nino

Dear Nino,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

Please note that HP Scanjet scanners are not supported under any version
of Linux operating system and hence there are no drivers currently
available for the same.  Your scanner can be installed only under
Windows Operating System.

However, you may visit the Web site given below to have more information
about Linux support for HP scanners.

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/scanners/support_doc/bps05180.html

The hp scanjet 5500 series scanner supports the following Operating
Systems.

Windows 98/98SE
Windows Millennium
Windows 2000 Professional (requires Service Pack2 or higher)
Windows XP (Home and Professional

Some HP scanners are supported using HP Backened for SANE and SCL
commands in Linux.  The HP Backened is present in SANE.  Usually all HP
scanners with a SCSI-interface support SCL.  Some scanners with parallel
port interface or USB are using SCL too.  But most of the newer models
with USB do not support SCL and thus are not supported by the hp
backend.  For more information about the supported scanners, please
visit:

http://www.kirchgessner.net/sanehpfaq.html

Download the latest SANE 1.0.8 drivers for the scanners from:

http://panda.mostang.com/sane/source.html

For HP scanners and there SCL commands, please visit:

http://www.kirchgessner.net/sane.html

For more information on HP and SANE, please visit:

http://www.mostang.com/sane/man/sane-hp.5.html

     NOTE:  The URL above will take you to a non HP Web site.  HP does
            not control and is not responsible for information outside
            of the HP Web site.

Thank you for taking time and writing to us.  We assure of our
commitment to serve you better.

Sincerely,
Claudius
HP Total Care