oo

Kent Loobey kent at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Mar 18 18:37:11 UTC 2004

On Thursday 18 March 2004 09:50, Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 05:32:05PM -0800, Kent Loobey wrote:
> > So, I made the mistake of clicking on "OpenOffice.org Writer Word
> > processor" in root and now when ever I click on it in the a user title
> > bar it tries to install OpenOffice again in my user area and gives me the
> > following message:
> >
> > "An error occurred while copying the file libgcc_s.so.1 to
> > home/kent/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program."

> > So, I was able to find a copy of this file in /lib.  I copied it.  The
> > next

> > I did a search and this file is not on my computer.  So what is going on
> > here? I can "su" into root and run oowriter and it works fine.

> Compare and contrast the active environment with "su" and "su -".
> With "su" your home is unchanged.  With "su -" the environment
> is cleaned up.
>
> I suspect you did a "su" then started oo.
> oo then made directories and moved or copied files.

I am not sure what you are getting at here.  I don't remember if I did a "su"
or a "su -" but I suspect that I did a "su -" since I was trying to find out
if I could run it still in root mode, however, since I was considering using
it to edit my user documents I might actually have done "su".

> As your normal user try this command:
>
>    find . -uid 0 -print
>
> If it is a directory use "ls -ld" to see the  permission details.
> If it is a file use "ls -l" to see the permission details.

kent:~$ find . uid 0 -print | head