priority on /dev/sda4

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Thu Mar 18 18:45:54 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 07:30:40PM +0100, Marc Dobler wrote:

> hello !
>
> this is just a newbye question concerning a Iomega Zip 250.
> i know this topic was submitted a few weeks ago,
> but i still have some trouble, even using the previous mails.
>
> the hardware is fully recognized by Fedora
> (using the information center of KDE),
> but still remaining a question :
> /dev/sda1, /dev/hdb1 ... does not work ...
> only /dev/sda4 !
>
> so, why sda4  ???  - why not sda1 or 2 ... ? -
>
> does anybody have an explanation ?

Zip drives come preformated like that. Blame Iomega. :)

> if i put my external HD that uses /dev/sda1 to /dev/sda10 (several
> partitions), what is happening ?
> where whould be my zip ? - on /dev/sdb4 -
> which one has priority ?

The one connected first. If both are connected upon powerup, the driver
first to be loaded and to report a device gets the sda. The following gets
sdb, the next sdc, etc..

Udev promises to identify devices in a persistent and useful manner, but I
don't know its current state nor its integration in Fedora.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha