root vs user

Mitch Wiedemann mc2 at lightlink.com
Thu Mar 18 22:35:07 UTC 2004

Hi Nino,

First, I'd like to advise that you don't log in as root at all *ever*
unless you have no choice.

To do system maintenance I'd advise this procedure:
1. Log in to your normal user account
2. Open a "Terminal" or "Console" window
3. su (to gain root privileges)
4. Do what you need to do.
5. exit the root terminal when you're done.

I NEVER log in as root unless I've done something to completely hose my
normal user account. :)

As for your other questions, are you using KDE or Gnome or other desktop
environment?

--
Mitch Wiedemann
mc^2 Computer Consulting