Samba - XP Home in peer-to-peer mode

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Mar 18 23:21:02 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 18.03.2004 schrieb Tom Enterline um 22:50:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get my FC1 system to share files with an XP Home system in
> peer-to-peer mode - I don't want to set up a domain controller, etc. If
> I boot my system into W2K, I can share files fine, so basic networking
> and setup on the XP system seems OK. I want to get to the point of being
> able to use an smbfs mount.
> I've been using smbclient to check out the configuration, and I get the
> infamous NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED when I try to access a share. smbclient
> -L works fine (results below).

When you want to mount a share on the XP machine you get the access
denied error? If you, please post the exact command you use.

> So far I've created a Linux account to match the login (which has a
> password) on the XP box, and also did a smbpasswd -a USER. I also did a
> smbpasswd -a root, although I don't know if it was needed. I enabled
> encrypted passwords in smb.conf.

Did you run "smbpasswd -e USER" too to enable the Samba user?

> Since I'm using peer-to-peer, I think I don't need the XP signorseal
> patch for domain logins. Correct?

Correct, only for domain features needed.

> Below is the smbclient -L output and smb.conf. Thanks for any help.
>
> [tenter at localhost samba-3.0.2]$ smbclient -L //kehtron24

What is the result of "smbclient -L KEHTRON24 -U USER"?

> Password:
> Domain=[KEHTRON24] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
>
>         Sharename      Type      Comment
>         ---------      ----      -------
>         IPC$           IPC       Remote IPC
>         SharedDocs     Disk
>         print$         Disk      Printer Drivers
>         Laserjet       Printer   HP LaserJet 4L
>         XP             Disk
>         Tom            Disk
> Domain=[KEHTRON24] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
>
>         Server               Comment
>         ---------            -------
>
>         Workgroup            Master
>         ---------            -------

[ snip ]

> # You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
> # ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
> # Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
>    encrypt passwords = yes
> ;  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

Uncomment the "smb passwd file" line.

[ snip ]

> # Browser Control Options:
> # set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
> # browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
> ;   local master = no

If you want your XP machine be local master uncomment the line above. If
Samba should play that role then uncomment the line and switch it to
yes.

> # OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
> # elections. The default value should be reasonable
> ;   os level = 33

If "local master = no" let it be 2, if yes then level 99.

> # Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
> # allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
> # if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
> ;   domain master = yes
>
> # Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on
> startup
> # and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
> ;   preferred master = yes

If Samba shall be master browser uncomment it.

Does "smbclient -L localhost" on the Fedora machine work well after the
changes?

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 00:07:11 up 10 days, 26 users, load average: 0.25, 0.16,
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]