Hard Lock with Fedora Core 1

Roger Beever roger2 at rogernet.net
Thu Mar 18 23:41:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 23:24, Small, Jim wrote:
> Ugghhh!!!
>
> I think I know what the problem is.  I remember pulling my hair out with Red
> Hat Linux 7.X.
>
> For some reason, Red Hat Linux does not like KVMs.  I believe it's something
> with the mouse driver.  I'm using a Autoview 400 KVM with a type 5 Sun
> keyboard.  I haven't had problems with many other O/S, but Red Hat just
> doesn't like KVMs.  Even just using the console, it will lock up.  Sure
> enough, as soon as I plugged in a standard keyboard and mouse (directly) it
> appears to run fine--no hard locks.
>
> Do the Enterprise versions have this limitation too?
On the KVM point I have 4 port Belkin unit with RHEL3 on one machine and
RH9 on another and the only problem I get is the mouse going wild
occasionally when I switch this is evenly split between the two systems.
This is always fixed by switching form the GUI to a console and back
again (no need to log in just switch and back). I have not seen it with
the Fedora machine but its not been switched much while in use so it
would be unfair to comment further.
Regards Roger