openssl issue

Swamper swamper at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 19 00:59:05 UTC 2004

Luc Bouchard wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 10:58, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > The single biggest reason why I use Red Hat Linux, RHEL, and Fedora is that
> > I trusted RH to provide me with timely and well-built packages such that I
> > would never have to rebuild vanilla code again. I now trust RH to spend the
> > time, money, and effort in creating a community-based system to make sure
> > the same happens for Fedora.
> >
> You are part of that community. If you do not have time to put into the
> efforts of the community, then I would highly suggest you pay RedHat for
> one of their commercial licenses where you do get fast security updates.
>
> No more free lunch people.  Either help out in the community effort, or
> help out with your money.  Really it's not difficult to understand the
> economics of this one.

I'd say he was helping out by bringing up such an important
issue.  Are you speaking for the Fedora Project and Redhat with
your "no more free lunch" remark?  I don't think so.  Anyone who
installs Fedora is helping out, in my opinion, especially those
who are running the development core.

The way I read the leadership and obectives of this project it
is the steering committee that is involved with any political
issues.  This question of whether security updates are being
held back to influence people into buying the commercial product
is serious because security, when it comes to computers, is one
of the main reasons many people switch from Microsoft Windows to
Linux.  Even the suggestion that Redhat would do something like
this should be addressed openly by someone who represents
Redhat.  Since this was brought up in this forum, this would be
the appropriate place for that.  A simple, "Hell no we wouldn't
do something like that" would do.  Personally, I doubt that
Redhat would do something like that, but on the other hand, we
*are* dealing with the corporate mind here.  The question is if
Redhat sold out to the same spirit Microsoft has or if Redhat
is still being run by a human who hasn't lowered his integrity
to the bottom line.