A new license for YaSt

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Mar 19 11:30:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 04:31, Vincent wrote:
> http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5175682.html?tag=nefd_top
>
> It looks like yast will be GPL'd on monday. I'm sure slashdot
> will pick this up in an hour but I want to know what this could
> mean for Fedora, I don't see full adoption but is there any parts
> of it we could use? I have never used YaSt so I do not know what
> things can be cherry picked from it.

The bulk of it is heavily oriented to being run on a SuSE distro,
(location/format of config files etc).  SaX2 (their hardware
detection tool) would probably have more bits of interest to Fedora,
such as monitor databases etc.

It's something that's annoyed me for years, having seen both sides
of the fence after having worked at both SuSE and Red Hat, and time
after time hearing both "I tried latest SuSE and my box and it didn't
detect my xxx card, but latest Red Hat did"  and "I tried latest Red Hat
and it didn't see my xxx card, but latest SuSE worked just fine".
Whilst this is always going to be a problem (due to different driver
versions etc, I've heard a lot of examples from folks at trade shows etc
who've come up with problems that could be fixed in the installer.

In the monitor db example, I believe Mike Harris had on his neverending
todo list at some point the idea of a community run project (somewhat
akin to the http://pciids.sf.net project, which has worked out
exceptionally well for all distros that participated).

	Dave