Minimum requirements for install? (Sorry if this is a dup)

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Fri Mar 19 15:27:47 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 23:03 3/18/2004, you wrote:
>
>> I am trying to install FC1 on an HP pavillion 6330.  The label on the
>> machine says it has 64MB ram with 11MB shared with the video.
>>

> It sounds reasonable to assume this is a memory problem, so let's look
> at it that way and see if we can make it work. Now, you *should* (in
> theory) be able to install with 53MB of useful RAM, as others have had
> success with that in the past. However, your odds of success will
> increase if you can temporarily decrease the 11MB shared for video to,
> say, 4MB. As a matter of fact, you might want to leave it there since
> 64MB is not very much for a machine which uses a graphical desktop so
> the system will need all the RAM it can get.

This box will be acting as a simple X terminal logging in XDMCP to a RH9
box at 1024x768 16bit color so it will never need more than 1.5MB for
video.  I guess there is usually a way to partition the memory in the
bios setup?  This is the first machine that I've worked on that used
that shared video/system memory stuff.

-Steve