Changing Run levels

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Fri Mar 19 16:19:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 12:04, Mark Haney wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:59:59 -0500, shane c branch <scbranch at barton.edu>
> wrote:
>

> > As I understand you, you wish to boot to runlevel 3 as default?
>
> Well yes and no.  I do need to boot to runlevel 3 one time to get the
> VMware tools installed, but want to keep it at RL 5 the rest of the time.

Assuming you're using GRUB, you just:

1) From the main screen, highlight the kernel you want to boot and press
'e'.
2) Highlight the line starting with 'kernel' (the second line in most
default stanzas), and press 'e' again.
3) Append a '1', '3', or '5' to the line, depending on what run-mode you
want, and hit enter.
4) Press 'b' to boot from the altered stanza.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves