Need help with Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook

Steve Brown sbrown at valueline.com
Fri Mar 19 18:33:28 UTC 2004

I'm replying to myself:

After having no success installing Fedora Core (Yarrow, Test 2), I tried
installing what was probably the last Red Hat beta, "Severn".  Unlike
Fedora Core, this version detected my video card as "VESA (Generic)"
rather than "NVIDIA GeForce FX (Generic)".  I was even able to do the
install in GUI mode.  So, until someone figures out why the NVIDIA
driver doesn't work with the FX 5200 on a 1680 x 1050 display, I'd
recommend slipping the VESA driver in its place (the only problem I have
is that the aspect ratio is not correct -- everything is stretched
across the screen).

I reinstalled Fedora Core (pre-Test 2) and manually made three changes
to my /etc/XF86Config file.  In the "Monitor" section I changed the
VertRefresh setting to 59.0 - 85.0 (from 60).  In the "Device" section,
under indentifier "Videocard0", I changed the Driver setting to "vesa".
Under the "Screen" section, I added some "Modes" entries (e.g.
"1680x1050", "1400x1050", etc.).

Thanks to all who responded.

--
Steven J. Brown
Value Line, Inc.
sbrown at valueline.com
ny:win2000:mozilla

This transmission contains information intended to be confidential and solely for the use of Value Line, Inc., and those persons or entities to whom it is directed. It is not to be reproduced, retransmitted, or in any other manner distributed. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.