Minimum requirements for install? (Sorry if this is a dup)

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Fri Mar 19 21:59:46 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 10:54, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> You cannot make generalizations like that about Linux and not expect to get
> shot down for it, since they simply *are not true*.

Indeed, my situation is an excellent example.  It's a kickstart install
that configures the machine to run basically only a few processes:

X -query 192.168.1.1
cupsd
esd -public -tcp
syslogd

On bootup it boots directly into an XDMCP login screen from a RH9 server
with 512MB of ram.  Runs fine on 53MB of system memory.  In fact, it's
quite zippy.

BTW, I did get it to install.  There turned out to be no obvious way to
change the system/video memory partitioning.  But in the BIOS I changed
the IDE drive type from DOS to OTHER and changed another setting that
was set to Windows5.x to OTHER.  I then tried a graphical install and it
aborted, probably due to memory.  I burned a new kickstart CD which
installs in text mode and everything went fine.

And of course there had to be a flakey CDROM drive thrown in just to
make it more interesting.  I would bet that half the linux installs that
fail are really due to a flakey CDROM drive.  When installing on unknown
hardware I always figure a 50-50 chance that the CD reader's not bad
enough to be obvious but not up do doing a whole OS installation either.

-Steve