openssl issue

Christopher Ness nesscg at mcmaster.ca
Sat Mar 20 02:23:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 17:01, William Hooper wrote:
> Rodolfo J. Paiz said:
> >>
> >>Your installation of the testing package will not speed up the release
> >>[...] if something isn't working the way you expect it to read bugzilla
> >>to see if others are having the problem too, if not file a bug.
> >>
> >>[...] Did I get all that out okay?
>
> I don't agree, Christopher. Specifically:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-March/msg03909.html
> "...test, add your results to the bug report, and we can get this pushed
> to live quickly."

For a package like SSL most average users (including me) will not be
able to stress test the package to find the lower bugs.  Realistically
SSH'ing from one box to another probably will not discover the bugs that
_were_ in the previous packages.

But by all means I encourage everyone to help and test as much software
as possible!

To begin as a tester though you may want to start at a higher level -
testing GUI's and the like.  I think that is the best way to start.
Find widgets that are not connected to proper handlers and discover poor
HCI (I love HCI) designs.  That's where I feel Linux/GNU falls the
lowest (unlike apple), but things are getting better!

I hope I don't sound too elitist here, it's just the way it is.  There
is a sharp learning curve that I'm still climbing, even after 4 years.

> > Yes, as far as what's good for *me*. The question has another side: what
> > can someone like me to do to help test the code (say, on a spare system)?
> > Or does the low level of knowledge preclude any help in this area? I'm
> > looking for ways in which people (many people, not just me) can help the
> > community in this process.

Chris
--
Software Engineering IV,
McMaster University

21:13:04 up 33 min, 2 users, load average: 0.46, 0.32, 0.32