Fedora Linux Starband??

WA9ALS - John ham_reflectors at wa9als.com
Sat Mar 20 22:45:11 UTC 2004

Sure.  I've used Starband for 2 (or is it 3?) years now.  You have to have a Windows box attached to the satellite modem, but I have the 2nd NIC attached to a hub.  Other PCs in the house are attached to that hub, including Fedora and Debian boxes.  Nothing special required once the Windows gateway box is going.  I use WinProxy for a firewall in the WinPC, and it does the DHCP.  The Starband upload stinks at about 90K, but the downside is fine - anything from 300-2500 kbps.  StarBand also prohibits running servers, and I think they even block common server ports, apparently not trusting us.  - John