yum.conf for all

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 21 07:25:53 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 08:20:42PM +0700, Frans Thamura wrote:

> Speaking yum
>
> I am newbies in yum
>
> I see in the cache, yum always update the header, and this is use the
> hard disk space.
>
> I there a efficient way to use space.
>
> I dont think a lot of yum url in yum.conf is a good way
>
> any comment?

Having a lot of different but redundant resources in yum.conf is not a
good idea. It is also a bit rude to the mirrors.  Having a long list of
commented out extras does make sense.  If you list ten URL resources
then all ten will be contacted and headers pulled.

Yum does support
    -c [config file]

Thus it does make sense to me to have a set
of config files.  Example:

   yum -c /etc/yum-w-test.config  update urgent-need-it-now
   yum -c /etc/yum-default.config update	# might be WeeryWerry SLOW
   yum -c /etc/yum-MirrorA.config update	# Much better...
   yum -c /etc/yum-MirrorB.config update	# just in case

As the discussion about ssh and the minor delays required for testing
reminds me it can be valuable to have a config file or one with
commented out lines that point to test.

If you have the disk space or a burner it is valuable to keep various
historic rpm versions for reference.  It is so nice to see up2date
or yum say -- already downloaded.

I also like the ability to do something like.

  yum -c /etc/yum-w-test.conf check-update
 or
  yum -c /etc/yum-w-test.conf list | grep MirrorA-updates-testing

This tells me something about what might be coming this way.  N.B. that
"MirrorA-updates-testing" is the tag in my config file for the repository
with testing rpm packages.  Yours will be different....

Summary... take the previously posted too long config file
and prune it a couple different ways.  Use Mirrors....

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l