Problems with dual boot and grub

Kenneth Becker jkbecker3 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 21 22:57:37 UTC 2004

> How does toe BIOS know to go to that partition???
>
> -- jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net> --------------------------

I don't think the BIOS knows. What I do know is that I can change the
booting partition with "make this partition active" with Partition Magic
or by using the "makeactive" command in the grub shell. Either way, I
can make the computer, apparently, boot off the first partition with XP
(in which case it comes up in XP), or on the ext3 partition containing
/home/boot (in which case I get the "no operating system" prompt).

I presume the information about which partition is active is in (hd0);
the stuff that's necessary to get XP going is in (hd0,0); and, what I
thought (probably wrong) is that the boot for linux or grub or something
is in (hd0,1).

I must be missing something. What?

		Ken Becker