Trying to Install Scorched Earth on Fedora

David Hunt (Linux) david.hunt.linux at comcast.net
Mon Mar 22 00:15:27 UTC 2004

My wife's computer was running WinXP as of two days ago, until a virus
got through the firewall and ripped it to shreds. Really. I don't have
much control of what she does (under windows) but this is twice in under
4 months. So, I have moved her into the wonderful world of Linux. To
help her overcome the perception that nothing "fun" runs under Linux, I
am trying to install some games that she might enjoy. I am starting with
Scorched Earth since I think that I might enjoy that one too. I
certainly enjoyed the DOS version 10 years or so ago.

So, I am trying to install "Scorched Earth" on Fedora Core 1, and am
having limited success. The game RPM can be found at
http://scorched3d.sourceforge.net/downloads.php . When I try to install
the RPM, I get a dependency failure because libwx_gtk-2.4.so.0 is
required and not found. I did a google search and found what appeared to
be the right thing at
http://www2.linuxforum.net/RPM/libwx_gtk-2.4.so.0.html . I installed
this RPM successfully, however it did not correct the error while
installing the Scorched Earth RPM. So...

How do I found out what version of libwx_gtk I have, or if I even have it?
Has anyone installed this successfully? And of course, how?
Is installing programs not included in the distribution going to be as
difficult as it seems?
Why don't the RPM's simply include the required files?

Although off subject, I noticed that I can create shortcuts, but I can't
drag them to other locations on the desktop. What's up with that? How do
I manually arrange my desktop icons?