USB Storage Access under 2.4.22-1.2174

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Mar 23 23:02:20 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 23.03.2004 schrieb David Allardyce um 22:55:
> I was very impressed with yum and apt's ability to update my system at
> the issue of a command, especially with kernel upgrades. However, I have
> a minor issue.
>
> When I run kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.ntpl (the one on my FC1 CDs), I can
> access my USB SD card reader fine. However, under 2.4.22-1.2174 - the
> version I got using yum/apt (can't remember which) I cannot.
>
> I've tried re-compiling the kernel with USB support, following
> instructions on the web.
>
> I ran # make xconfig and set the options to what appeared to be correct
> (USB Mass Storage Support). Then I ran # make dep which completed OK.
> Then I did a # make bzImage as it said to in the README. Unfortunately
> make bombs out at this point with the following errors:

[ snip ]

> I don't know enough about C to delve in and try and sort out what's
> wrong... Does anyone know of a (simple?) way I can get my USB reader to
> work? Rebooting into the old kernel is a bit of a pain.
>
> David

Which setting did you change in contrast to the modules support active
for kernel .2174? If I run a

find /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2174.nptl/ -name "*usb*"

and compare the results with what I get for the .2115 directory I see no
difference.

If .2115 really works for you and .2174 not, then please file a
bugreport at bugzilla.redhat.com.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 23:59:31 up 4 days, 8:41, load average: 0.32, 0.14, 0.10
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]