Database Startup

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Mar 24 12:23:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 06:41:30 -0500 Clint <clint at penguinsolutions.org> wrote:

> >>From your experiences, is there any advantage of one over the other, or one
> > being more difficult to configure/maintain than the other?

> I think you'll find strong supporters of both DBMS on this list. It may
> simply depend on your needs. If your needs are db-backed websites, then
> perhaps MySQL and its speed will suit you just fine. I believe you
> originally mentioned needing to develop a phpBB site -- MySQL will be
> fine for that job.

on the PostgreSQL side: PostgreSQL has a number of advantages,
although in a simple phpBB backend situation, they may not be of any
great importance.

where PostgreSQL shines is in enterprise related features -- SQL
standards compliance, scalability, and stuff like stored procedures and
triggers. MySQL is working on these things, but the bulk of it is still
fairly immature with comparison to PostgreSQL.

but if you're just running a web BB, have your choice of backends,
and aren't doing any of your own coding, you don't really see most of
this.

richard
Richard Welty                                         rwelty at averillpark.net