Software RAID setup at install...

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Wed Mar 24 21:26:16 UTC 2004

Felix Miata wrote:

>Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
>

>>jludwig wrote:
>>

>>>Holler if I'm wrong, but;
>>>Software raid is not a hardware raid. This means the kernel amd the
>>>proper module(s) must load to access the raid drive. Therefore a
>>>software raid cannot be /boot or / since these must be available at boot.
>>>Now it may be possible to have GRUB load the modules but the kernel must
>>>still be available.
>>>

>>Sorry, you are wrong.  I have had, and continue to use with FC1, and FC2
>>test1, software raid 1 based /boot and / filesystems.
>>

>Where's the HOWTO that explains to us nubes? The ones I've seen all seem
>to be broken for motherboard ataraid.

Ataraid based raid is not software raid.  That is hardware raid that of
course requires some software support for management and awareness of
status.  I am talking about the md0, md1, etc devices managed by the
Linux kernel.
You are probably looking for something like this:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ATA-RAID-HOWTO/existing.html which is not for
/boot or / partitions.

For a better explanation of the difference and software raid
configuration see:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-raid-approaches.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-software-raid.html

Chris