ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd

Paul Pianta pantz at lqt.ca
Wed Mar 24 21:36:16 UTC 2004

Paul Ryan wrote:

>Hello I just installed a CDwriter and need to change the symbolic link for
>Xine ,and before I screw things up I want to know if my comand is corect
>"ln -s-f /dev/cdrom1 /dev/dvd".  It is now the secondary slave set as scsi1
>formally hdc now actually hdd. Video CD's work fine in the writer
>(hdc,scsi0), but not in the CDROM witch I plan on replacing with a DVDROM
>in the near future.
>Thank You
>Paul Ryan

hey Paul

sorry but your email is not really very clear about what exactly you are
trying to do ...
but this might help anyway ...

do a 'll /dev/cdrom1' to see if this too is already a symbolic link

if it is then this is what you want to link too. The 'ln' command syntax
works the same as the 'cp' or 'mv' commands - ie. ln nameOfOriginalFile
nameOfNewLinkedFile

if you need more help - please explain your sitch a bit better and we
will see where we can go from there ...

pantz

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!