setting up cable internet connection

Alimin Bijosono Oei alimin_oei at myrealbox.com
Thu Mar 25 06:33:01 UTC 2004

> Right now, I am doing an incorrect thing;  I have three domains
> pointed at that dynamic IP.  They are registered with and controlled
> through dyndns.org, so that if Comcast decides to change my address
> I can  bring up the dyndns webpage and change the addresses.  Annoying
> but livable.  This is incorrect because the Comcast terms of service
> (TOS) forbids my running servers, and incoming SSH, SMTP, and HTTP
> are responding to requests.  Theoretically, they could block these
> ports tomorrow and I would have no recourse.
>
> I am transitioning to the Correct Way.  A local company, pdxcolo.net,
> rents User Mode Linux virtual machines for $20/month.  Over the next
> month, I will be moving my services to the pdxcolo "machine", and
> connecting them to SSH tunnels *outbound* from my firewall.  There
> will be no incoming services to my firewall.  I will send most of my
> outbound mail through smtp.comcast.net, not through pdxcolo, to keep
> bandwidth through pdxcolo down.  There are some details omitted, but
> I hope to describe those at www.keithl.com/comcast.html as I learn more.
>
> Your details with Telstra may vary, but this should give you some ideas.
> There is nothing specific about Fedora versus earlier versions of
> Redhat, beyond the details of configuring iptables.  It looks like
> Fedora straight out of the box does a decent job of setup.
>
> Keith

Thank you everyone that provided me with good info and suggestion. I
have looked around for information too and looks like there should be no
problem to get it working. Hopefully soon I will be up and running with
cable connection. At the moment I have had small LAN set up and sharing
dial up internet connection.

Alimin