mysqld issues

duncan brown duncanbrown at email.com
Thu Mar 25 14:21:15 UTC 2004

I was reading through the archives for this user's mailing list and no one really addressed a GREAT out of the box way to deal with the ping failing on mysqld start in the init.d scripts.  I've just changed the ping lines to the following:

/usr/bin/mysqladmin ping -u $RANDOM 2> /dev/null

this way, even if root doesn't have a pw set, the ping will work when the server is up.

+( duncan brown
+( duncanbrown at email.com
+( http://www.linuxadvocate.net

she's crashing her car in an intersection
she did not see the light
she's walking round and round in a shopping mall
as if she had no sight
dreams are only clouds that form and dissipate
the sky is a highway for metal birds
and land is real estate
she does not understand
her world depends upon a history of lies
she walks right by all her old high school friends
for she has dollar signs in her eyes
  - the dead milkmen, "dollar signs in her eyes"