yum.conf exclude

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Thu Mar 25 14:35:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 22:07, Charles Howse wrote:

> Hi,
> I just need some assurance that I haven't broken my system...
>
> I have accidentally let yum update xmms from 1.2.9 to 1.2.10, and now I get
> the "We don't do mp3 anymore" msg when trying to play a stream from
> ShoutCast.
>
> I did
> # yum remove xmms
> but it wanted to remove some kde files (can't remember the names) as
> dependencies, which I thought was a bad idea, and cancelled.
>
> I have done
> # rpm -e --nodeps xmms
> and
> #rpm -ivh ~/tmp/xmms-1.2.9-1.i386.rpm
> which fixed the problem, and have added exclude=xmms to my /etc/yum/conf.

why not simply install the xmms-mp3 rpm for the mp3 plugin? then disable
the mp3-placeholder plug in in xmms. i'm using xmms 1.2.10 with the
xmms-mp3 plug for that same version, playing a stream on shoutcast right
now. works fine.

you can get the yum.conf from http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/ and check
that out. it includes enabled fedora.us and rpm.livna.org. or you can
just download the rpm for xmms-mp3 from livna manually.

dex