Database Startup

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Thu Mar 25 17:07:23 UTC 2004

Steven Stern wrote:
> There are probably more elegant solutions, but I lost the root passwords when
> I was first learning MySQL.  Since I had no real data there, renamed the mysql
> directory holding the tables to mysql.old and restarted mysql. I then started
> over with a fresh DB.

This set of instructions has come in handy for a lost mysql root pw
where data might be at stake:

http://web.bii.a-star.edu.sg/~atif/mysql.html

> Backup is a good thing!  I have a cron job that runs every night and backs up
> all my dbs:
>
>   0 0 * * * export test2;declare test2=`date|cut -c 1-3`;mysqldump
> --all-databases -prootpasswordhere |gzip >
> /root/sql-backup/all_databases_$test2.sql.gz
>
> The files contain everything needed to recreate the databases.
>
> --
>    Steve

Good tip! I've been using phpMyAdmin regularly to create a dump file of
the tables and data, and saving it elsewhere, but the cron job is
obviously nicer (and automated).

Clint