SSHD Issue

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Thu Mar 25 22:46:33 UTC 2004

On Thursday 25 March 2004 16:29, Robert Robl wrote:
> Hello everyone -
>
> I'm running Fedora Core 1 latest everything. Previously I was
> getting into this box from a Win2K station over SSH via Putty,
> which worked fine until a month ago. Just the other day a friend
> came by with Win2K on her laptop and was surprisingly able to get
> into the box also using SSH in Putty until she got the same error I
> got a while back: "Software connection reset..."
>
> What has gone wrong with my SSHD server? How do I find out?
> /var/log/secure file? Anywhere else to look? Thanks!

Have you looked in /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure to see if
there's any any messages there?

Have you tried adding a "-d -d -d" to the sshd invocation to increase
the debug level to maximum message output?

Does this occur when the connection has been sitting idle for a while
and/or when there is activity on the ssh connection?  Some routers
will drop the connection after a period of inactivity.

Regards, Mike Klinke