DVD as secondary slave

Wayne Steenburg w.steenburg at myactv.net
Thu Mar 25 23:40:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 20:40 +0100, Paul Ryan wrote:
> Hello I wrote before but my first letter was somewhat unclear as to what
> my problem is my CDROM is the secondary slave,formally hdc now (scd1 or
> cdrom1) and I can not get Xine to play VCDO or VCD. No matter what I do
> it trys to access the  CDwriter (scd0 or CDROM ).  I have tried the
> following
>
> [root at localhost root]# ln -sf /dev/cdrom1 /dev/dvd
> [root at localhost root]# ls -al /dev/dvd
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Mar 25 20:33 /dev/dvd ->
> /dev/cdrom1
> [root at localhost root]# ls -al /dev/cdrom1
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Mar 23 17:21 /dev/cdrom1 ->
> /dev/scd1[root at localhost root]# ls -al /dev/cdrom
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Mar 23 17:21 /dev/cdrom ->
> /dev/sc
>
> Everything seems to be correct but when I hit the VCDO button it still
> trys to access the primary master and not the slave drive (cdrom1) like
> I want it to. I want to correct this for two reasons first the kids
> shouldn't touch the writer and second I want to replace the CDROM with a
> DVD. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
> Paul Ryan

Hi Paul I'm using FC2test1 so my version of xine might be different than
yours. But this *should* work for you also.  Open xine and enter setup.
It looks like a wrench under xine-0.9.22-0.lvn.4.1.90. On the GUI tab
find "configuration experience level". Select Expert or better then
click apply.  Click on the VCD tab and at the bottom the last option is
"default CD drive used for VCD when none given". The name says it all.
Hope this does the trick for you.

Wayne Steenburg