Search for a good desktop(NOT desktop environment)

Kaustubh Ghosh meetkaustubhghosh at vsnl.net
Fri Mar 26 06:58:28 UTC 2004

Does anyone know of a good desktop (NOT desktop environment) for Linux? I have
kicked out both gnome and kde recently as they couldn't give me speed, and
I am using blackbox now which is perfectly fine and superbly fast. but i need
a desktop for putting some icons and shortcuts if possible. I am using ROX
Filer as file manager. It is supposed to be able to function as a desktop
(pinboard, in their lingo), but doesn't work with me. The desktop better be
as minimal as possible.
Thanks in advance.